Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:33:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I think instead of removing them it is better to display them
> prominently, e.g., by changing their entry in the
> glyphless-char-display char-table.  The advantage is that you don't
> accidentally harm the display where these controls are used
> legitimately, and OTOH make their presence acutely evident.

Yeah, isn't that a bit too intrusive if done generally?  If we display
these markers very visibly, then buffers where they are legitimately
used would be kinda ugly.  And I don't think users would necessarily
know that the URL is displayed the wrong way around just because there's
an ugly control character displayed before or after the URL...

>> But currently Emacs doesn't really have a mechanism for querying the
>> directionality of a buffer region, I think?
>
> What do you mean by "directionality of a buffer region"?  At least
> under some definitions of that, I can think of a very easy
> implementation.

When hitting RET on an URL, the function that handles that could ask
Emacs "is the http://domain.com bit displayed RTL or LTR"?  If it's RTL,
then that function could "are you sure?" the user.