Re: ChangeLog dates

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: ChangeLog dates
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:02:36 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I'm talking about ChangeLog files looked at by people who have only
> the release tarball (which is why we produce ChangeLog files).  They
> don't have Git, they have just the ChangeLog files, and those
> ChangeLog files should IMO reflect the ordered sequence of commits to
> the branch from which the tarball was created.

I agree, and AFAICS, this is the only interpretation that makes any sense.
So the ChangeLog date of merged entries simply has to be adjusted to the
merge date.

This is how we've always done it, and there's no reason it should change
because the VCS changed, or if ChangeLog entries were not hand-written.