Re: Stop fiddling with my preferences

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Stop fiddling with my preferences
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 00:15:53 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Roland Lutz wrote:
> > operating systems, but does this make it appropriate for Emacs?  One of
> > the reasons I'm using mature software is exactly that I *don't* have to be
> > worried with each new version that ESC won't stop playing animated GIFs
> > any more, etc.
>
> We change user-visible behavior in response to user demand, not
> because Emacs is immature.  User demands and expectations change with
> time, and Emacs cannot stay with old defaults forever.

I often hear developers saying this.  But I rarely hear users asking
for these (mis)features.  Therefore what it feels like is actually
happening is that when developers want to do something they just do it
and claim that users want it.  When they don't want to do it then they
claim they can't because of backward compatibility.  It is very
frustrating.

I had to make almost exactly the same fixes as Roland too.

Bob