Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-dynamic-module in Emacs Git?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:44:30 +0200

> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:28:01 +0100
> From: Aurélien Aptel <address@hidden>
>
> Stefan's 3 part plan is sound.
>
> I agree that using any Emacs function in modules is too fragile and we
> need to define a subset or a new layer to expose Emacs features to
> modules.

Note that there are several possible ways of doing this, and IMO we
should decide which one we would like to use.

One possibility is not to create Lisp objects in the module, but
instead ask Emacs to create an object and hand it to the module.

Another possibility is to expose an array of function pointers through
which modules will call Emacs functions.  (This alternative avoids the
problems on Windows that require an import library.)

In any case, freeing memory should always be done on the same side of
the divide as its allocation.