Re: Recording the date at which a change was pushed to Savannah

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Recording the date at which a change was pushed to Savannah
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:04:11 +0100

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>  > This is a distributed version control system.
>
> IIUC, Glenn isn't interested in the "many repositories" sharing the
> common history.  He's interested in the "official" repository
> (actually, his local mirror of that, but that's a distinction that
> makes no difference to his use case).  From that point of view, it
> makes perfect sense to talk about when a commit was pushed to a
> particular repository.

But that does not tell you what made it part of which history in which
branch.

There is
<URL:https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2014/12/git-2-2-0-released/#signed-pushes>
arrived just now.

This puts a signature not on the act of creating an object but rather of
moving a reference (branch HEAD or tag).  For some workflows, that might
be interesting.  I doubt that it is what Glenn had in mind.

--
David Kastrup