Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:13:04 -0500

  > > > It is easy to make an option turn off bidi processing.
  > > > All it has to do is make all characters seem LTR.
  > >
  > > That doesn't disable reordering, it just makes the results
  > > indistinguishable.

  > Actually, even this is not true: the directional overrides will still
  > have their effect.  So deeper changes are needed to countermand that
  > as well.

It should not be hard for the same flag to tell the code not to
recognize those characters.

  > And I still don't understand the purpose of such a feature.  Users who
  > cannot read RTL won't be able to understand the text either way, and
  > don't know what is "the right" display to make any sense out of what
  > will be presented when bidi processing is "turned off".

One use of disabling bidi is that you'll see what the strange URL
really consists of.  And likewise any other texts that involve
bidi: you'll see what the real sequence of characters is.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation