Extending svg.el

From: Ulf Jasper
Subject: Extending svg.el
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 20:05:19 +0100

Hi Lars,

[I am cc-ing emacs-devel as this may be of general interest.]

the other day I became aware of the new libraries 'svg.el' and 'dom.el'.
They appeared to be just what I was missing when I wrote 'svg-clock.el'
and so I started re-writing 'svg-clock.el'.  I just finished that and
pushed the result to elpa.  However, in the end I only used very few
functions from 'svg.el', but wrote a handful of new functions and even
"re-invented" some functions (e.g. 'svg-line').  The reason is that many
of the functions in 'svg.el' produce side-effects (via 'svg-append' and
'svg-possibly-update-image'). Besides that adding attributes to svg
primitives appears to have an effect on the containing xml tree (via
'svg-arguments').

I think it may be good to separate the demonstration part of 'svg.el'
from the library part: Interactive commands here and side-effect free
functions there.  (Besides one may simplify the handling of attributes.)

What do you say?

Best,
Ulf