Re: Metaproblem, part 3

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Metaproblem, part 3
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 22:32:03 -0800

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

As I mentioned earlier, I use vc-dwim. You might want to try it out. It'll save you the hassle of remembering these niggly details, since it generates the commit message automatically from the ChangeLog entries.

I've also suggested that we generate the ChangeLog automatically. This would address the problem even better, since it would be simpler for most contributors than our current practice of having to deal with vc-dwim or its equivalent to generate commit messages that are near-duplicates of ChangeLogs. However, Stefan wanted explicit agreement from all the core developers on that, which I've taken as a polite "no". (Maybe someday he'll change his mind and say "yes"....)