Re: Stuck with a strange emacs / openmcl problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stuck with a strange emacs / openmcl problem
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:42:56 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 23:32:34 +0100
>
> Emacs 24.4 W32/W64
>
> I'm trying to run Clozure Common Lisp under Emacs / Slime.
> Slime lauches CCL and starts the Swank server.
> When the process is started by Emacs, I get an error with this backtrace :

> > Error: Le fournisseur de services demandé n’a pas pu être chargé ou
> initialisé. (error #10106) during socket creation operation in socket

For French-challenged people, this message in English means "The
requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized."

> > While executing: SOCKET-ERROR, in process listener(1).
> > Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> > Type :? for other options.
> 1 > :b
> (223996E8) : 0 (SOCKET-ERROR NIL "socket" 10106 NIL) 1133
> (22399750) : 1 (MAKE-TCP-SOCKET :CONNECT :PASSIVE :LOCAL-PORT 0 :LOCAL-HOST
> "127.0.0.1" :REUSE-ADDRESS T :BACKLOG 5) 429
> (223997D8) : 2 (MAKE-SOCKET :CONNECT :PASSIVE :LOCAL-PORT 0 :LOCAL-HOST
> "127.0.0.1" :REUSE-ADDRESS T :BACKLOG 5) 965
>
> The same thing works if I run OpenCL from the console.
> How the fact that the process is run from Emacs could
> result in an error from make-tcp-socket ?
> Conflict with the winsock2 dll which is loaded by both process ?

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  Do you have an emacs-server running?

> I have tried many combinations of CCL and emacs :
> - Emacs 24.4 32 bits (GNU version)
> - Emacs 24.4 64 bits (my version)
> - OpenCL 64 bits (official 1.10 version)
> - OpenCL 64 bits (compiled by me with the same toolchain used to compile
> Emacs)
> - OpenCL 32 bits
>
> I couldn't find a working version. Any idea on how to hunt this ?

If "emacs -Q" shows the same problem, I'd suggest using SysInternals
tools to find what exactly happens and why.  ProcessExplorer and
ProcessMonitor come to mind.