Re: C-x C-e on numbers

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: C-x C-e on numbers
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:47:14 -0600

address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

> Currently, when evaluating a number, emacs will print the decimal,
> octal, hexadecimal, and charachter of said number.
>
>   42 C-x C-e ==> 42 (#o52, #x2a, ?*)
>
> It would be useful, if the output would also include the binary
> representation of the number.  Or at least somehow enable such
> behaviour.  I.e.,
>
>   42 C-x C-e ==> 42 (#b101010, #o52, #x2a, ?*)

I often need to examine binary; currently, I shell out to an Ada
executable that does it for me.

But I'm already annoyed at how many representations are shown, so I'd
rather just make it available; I can always do

M-: (show-binary 42)

or something similar.

gdb uses the format letter "t" for binary; ideally, I'd like to see that
in elisp format; then I could do:

(format "%t" 42) ==> #b101010

That covers all the possible combinations of input and output format.

But I suspect that means adding it to the underlying standard C library,
which isn't going to happen.

--
-- Stephe