Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:49:36 +0100

On Thu, Dec 04 2014, Stephen Leake wrote:

>> Hmm, xref-find-definition does this, except for the case when it's not
>> called interactively.
>
> I bound xref-find-definition to a key. When I invoke that key, I'm
> prompted for the identifier; the default is the identifier at point, but
> I still have to hit enter.

Something's odd here.  xref-find-definition does NOT prompt by default.
E.g. if you invoke M-x xref-find-definition in an elisp buffer with the
text "cons" around point then it should take you immediately to alloc.c
without any prompting.  xref-find-definition should prompt only if
either xref-identifier-at-point returns nil or if it's invoked with
prefix argument.

> I want to eliminate that prompt/enter step.

So do I.

Helmut