Re: More metaproblem

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 11:52:48 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> So I'd love to see that barrier go away, just to see what would happen.
>
>That barrier doesn't exist!  You are imagining it.

The barrier to the bug tracker change is well-documented on this list;
you're probably seen those conversations.  Explicit proposals to move
off debbugs have been made and have been equally explicitly shot down on
the grounds that debbugs is easier for senior maintainers who are
already familiar with it.

I'm very glad to hear you aren't one of those, though.

The barrier to the documentation change is when people see senior devs
pointing to etc/CONTRIBUTE as a fine place for dev documentation and
think "Oh, so the project thinks that's okay?  They point to that as a
solution, rather than as a problem?  I guess I'm in the wrong place."

Perhaps I shouldn't have characterized that as "resistance"; it's more
"active promotion of a sub-optimal thing as though it were perfectly
fine, with implied demotion of better things that could replace it".

I agree that's only an inference -- albeit one that many observers are
likely to make, even if inaccurate.  But if as you're saying the
inference is inaccurate, and that you're fine with the kinds of changes
I described, that's great.  Thanks.

-K