Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 13:12:39 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I think you are putting the wagon before the horse here.  Selection of
> the tools and the language used to write documentation should be up to
> the people who actually are writing most of the docs.  Those people
> (full disclosure: I'm one of them) are acquainted to, and proficient
> in Texinfo as the source language.  They currently know close to
> nothing about AsciiDoc.  In addition, the manpower we have for working
> on the documentation is already too thin, and it already started
> showing in the quality of the Emacs manuals.

I think this is a pretty crazy discussion.

Just want to say that I agree with you.
I've written a lot of Emacs documentation.
I like Texinfo, I'm used to Texinfo, Texinfo is not the problem.
I have no enthusiasm for throwing out all that experience just because
of some buzz-words being thrown around.

I worry about the recent apparent trend in Emacs to throw over
established ways of working, in favour of new methods proposed by people
who frankly don't contribute much to Emacs, don't seem to understand its
development practices, and don't seem to hold the people who actually do
work in much respect.

I'm especially disappointed to see this topic being raised at a time
when Stefan asked for less arguing and more actual work.

And that's about all I have to say on these silly "meta" topics.

Quick, someone write an angry blog post about people being stuck in the
mud, and unwilling to adapt to new ideas!

Please keep fighting the good fight, Eli.