Re: More metaproblem

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 13:56:36 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:
> Karl Fogs wrote:
>
> > That site & page are maintained by the FSF -- they're not in the Emacs
> > tree anywhere.  In other words, whatever the procedures are for
> > improving the Emacs home page (and creating a developer welcome page),
> > they are completely different from the procedures for improving the
> > Emacs code.  So, yay, now I have to learn *two* contribution paths.
>
> The http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ Emacs web pages are maintained in
> CVS.

Oh, holy jumping *fuck*.

And you still wonder why you can't get more help maintaining them?
There may be other reasons, but this is a sufficient one.  CVS, like
Texinfo and far too many of this project's inheritances from ancient
times, is a gigantic neon sign that says to new developers WE *LIVE*
TO INFLICT PROCESS PAIN ON YOU.

Let me expand on that.  It not only says WE *LIVE* TO INFLICT PROCESS
PAIN ON YOU, it also says GO AWAY, WE'RE STUCK IN 1990 AND WE LIKE IT
HERE.

Well, at least I can partly fix this. I'll get with Bob Proulx about
converting the repo.  Eventually it should almost certainly move into
the source tree, but that's pending the big redesign of our
documentation structure.