Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 15:13:32 -0600

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>:
>> Here's where I'm a bit surprised... I'm not sure that new GNU projects
>> should have to use Texinfo, but why not put efforts into improving
>> Texinfo's HTML output?
>
>Because Texinfo is a barrier in itself, full of ceremony and heavyweight
>markup.  The state of the art has moved well past it - modern formats
>like asciidoc (or perhaps even org - others may be right about that)
>are both lighter and more powerful.

+1 on Org, Asciidoc, Markdown, or any other format that meets the
criteria:

  - Raw source is readable as-is

  - Has free software tools to generate good HTML
    (and we then treat HTML as the default output format)

  - Markup syntax is not burdensome

Equally important would be getting a situation where Emacs developers
can also easily edit the Emacs web pages at gnu.org (which by virtue of
URL will always have an officiality advantage for developers seeking
information, so we should use that advantage to our... advantage), by
having those pages be generated from markup source in our tree.

Actually, I think that might be *more* important than the exact choice
of markup language.  I hope we don't bikeshed.com the choice of markup
language to death.  ${ANYTHING_STANDARD_OR_ORG} is fine by me.

-K