having heterogenous doc (was Re: On being web-friendly and why info must

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: having heterogenous doc (was Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 21:26:23 +0000

Wouldn't it be better to support more documentation formats?

The Emacs manual and the Elisp manual are very large, perhaps they could
be more usefully cut up.

This could happen over time, with the people doing it making smaller
manuals in texinfo or asciidoc or a few other formats?

And if the documentation reader allowed a consolidated index then it
would blur the lines between individual manuals.

Wouldn't that be a good thing?

I think I am opposed to Emacs being written in multiple programming
languages but it seems like it would be ok to have the documentation in
whatever format people were comfortable with.

Nic