Re: Multi-line input

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Multi-line input
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 01:43:50 +0200

> As mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced S-RET is a great idea, since
> I think it's more beneficial to get people to learn about C-q.

The only downside of S-RET is that it's not available on a tty.
But on a graphical display S-RET is a common key to insert a newline.

> I do realize that we have a problem in C-q because you need C-q C-j
> rather than C-q RET (the same problem recently pointed out by Raman
> w.r.t to the ?\n in electric-indent-chars which affects the behavior of
> RET rather than that of C-j).

`electric-indent-mode' has a similar problem.
NEWS.24 recommends using `C-j' to insert a newline:

  *** `electric-indent-mode' is now enabled by default.
  Typing RET reindents the current line and indents the new line.
  `C-j' inserts a newline but does not indent.

But e.g. in *scratch* typing `C-j' evaluates the last expression.
S-RET could help here as well, after agreeing on its universal meaning
of inserting a newline.