Re: Metaproblem, part 3

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Metaproblem, part 3
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 01:18:07 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden>:
> I see worries about "hostile" environment, and suggestions for making
> things more welcoming to new contributors.  I have to ask, what do all
> you folks who are suggesting Emacs change its procedures think is in
> it for the mentors and core developers?

A future for Emacs.

I'm trying to get the project moving in a direction that will lower
barriers to entry and attract new developers because I'm seriously
concerned that without such changes Emacs will ossify and dwindle into
irrelevance.

There are lots of other claims on my time.  There are many things I would
rather be doing than having the kinds of arguments this aim will
inecitably land me in.

But I think it's important enough that I'm here.