Re: More metaproblem

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 03:41:38 -0600

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:
>> Karl Fogs wrote:
>>
>> > That site & page are maintained by the FSF -- they're not in the Emacs
>> > tree anywhere.  In other words, whatever the procedures are for
>> > improving the Emacs home page (and creating a developer welcome page),
>> > they are completely different from the procedures for improving the
>> > Emacs code.  So, yay, now I have to learn *two* contribution paths.
>>
>> The http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ Emacs web pages are maintained in
>> CVS.
>
> Oh, holy jumping *fuck*.

-10

Please be more polite.

I'm happy to use CVS as a web publishing platform. As the text you
did not quote said, it is _not_ being used as a CM system.

> And you still wonder why you can't get more help maintaining them?

I have not seen anyone refuse to help maintain them, for any reason.

> CVS, like
> Texinfo and far too many of this project's inheritances from ancient
> times, is a gigantic neon sign that says to new developers WE *LIVE*
> TO INFLICT PROCESS PAIN ON YOU.

No, just that we have limited resources, and there's no reason to change
what ain't broke.

Learning how to publish via CVS is no harder than learning how to
publish by any other means.

> Well, at least I can partly fix this. I'll get with Bob Proulx about
> converting the repo.

Thanks for volunteering.

> Eventually it should almost certainly move into the source tree, but
> that's pending the big redesign of our documentation structure.

There are legitimate reasons to have separate FSF and Emacs web pages,
so I'm not sure which ones you are talking about here.

--
-- Stephe