Re: the Emacs wiki

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: the Emacs wiki
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 04:41:49 -0600

Aurélien Aptel <address@hidden> writes:

> Concerning the new developer resources and architectural complexity:
> there's the HackerGuide buried on the wiki which could be improved and get
> more exposition.

It starts with "Bazaar".

Most of the rest is better done in (info "(elisp)Top").

So I'd much rather _delete_ that page, and add a reference to CONTRIBUTE
to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs. CONTRIBUTE in turn
references the elisp manual.

What is the intended process for maintaining the wiki?

Suppose I want to clean up all references to Bazaar, and make sure the
wiki presents a clear and consistent picture of the Emacs development
process?

I can easily do that in ./CONTRIBUTE, because it will be reviewed by the
other Emacs developers.

Finding things in the wiki is a nightmare. Maintaining them is worse.

I don't mind maintaining one or two wiki pages, as long as they are referenced
from CONTRIBUTE as important web pages. That's my concession to the "we must
use the web" bandwagon. Anything more than that is unmaintainable.

It would make more sense if there was a higher-level wiki page that was
well maintained, that talked more about Emacs in general, not just how
to use git.

--
-- Stephe