Re: publicizing Emacs contribute

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: publicizing Emacs contribute
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 12:56:30 -0600

>   > Contributing small patches to Emacs is easy.  You report a bug, include
>   > the patch, and someone will look at it.
>
> Perhaps we should present this information prominently in places
> people will see it.

I think we all agree on that. The problem is to figure out what
"prominent places" are appropriate.

Currently, if you do a Google search for "Emacs contribute", you find:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Contributing.html

    The relevant section of the Emacs manual

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/CONTRIBUTE

    The official file

(I assume these are from the last release; they are not the current git
 working copy.)

(Is there a Free Software web search engine on the web? I feel a little
 guilty using Google for this.)

What other "prominent places" would you suggest?

Getting an article in some developer magazines would be very good, I
think; people on the Ada newsgroup get very excited when an article in a
developer magazine mentions Ada. I don't read any, so I don't know if
there have been any Emacs related articles recently.

Anybody up for writing "Emacs vs Microsoft Visual <language du jour>"? :).

--
-- Stephe