Re: Generators (iterators) for Gnu Emacs

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Generators (iterators) for Gnu Emacs
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 22:10:47 -0500

On 12/06/2014 05:24 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> the environment. It's `car', goddammit it, not `seq-list-car'.
>
> Yup.  `car' sucks as well, but it's too late to fix it.

No, `car' is fine: it's short and to the point. `next' would be too,
except that you insist that additions to the Emacs core look like a bowl
of corned beef hash, with chunks of `iter-'-this and `seq-' that
embedded all over the code for no good reason.

Prefixes are great for making sure out-of-tree packages don't conflict
with each other. For Emacs core functionality, requiring prefixes adds
friction and subtracts elegance, and because we manage all the names in
the core *anyway*, there's no risk of a conflict.

Any user code using a name like `next' for itself deserves to break, and
at least that pain is short-lived, while requiring some uselessly long
prefix for internal symbols makes life a little bit more difficult for
everyone forever.