Info and HTML

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Info and HTML
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:42:42 +0000

[…]

 > My web browser is typically running on a desktop of its own,
 > basically in landscape format, while my Emacs occupies just below
 > half of a desktop using only 80 columns (which is about the limit one
 > can usefully read in running text without losing orientation).

        My preference is to configure Firefox (which serves as my
        secondary browser) to use something close to 80 columns for the
        HTML documents, either.  Whenever feasible, I use CSS overrides
        (via Stylish) to move the sidebars and the likes off to the
        bottom of the page, or to remove them altogether.

 > So layout, geometry, and also the color model at least outside of the
 > bulk text area are different for web browsing and Info browsing.

 > Which is, by the way, the main problem I have with using eww for
 > about anything: it just makes a framy wrapping mess of the 80 columns
 > of text area I give it.

        On the EWW side, there’s that new eww-readable feature which I’m
        yet to try out.

        On the document side, the proper markup has the payload content
        /not/ wrapped in any tables or frames, and has the navigation
        going after it, not before.  That’s, e. g., how modern MediaWiki
        software behaves by default, and so that’s how Wikipedia (and
        the rest of WMF wikis) show up – giving an entirely reasonable
        Web reading experience with EWW, Lynx, etc.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A