Re: Alternative input formats

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Alternative input formats
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 02:49:03 +0100

> If we develop software to browse HTML manuals made by Texifo with all
> the good features of info, then we can drop use of Info format.

See below.

> Then there will be no reason to insist on one particular source format
> for manuals for GNU packages.  We could allow any source markup format
> that can generate the three kinds of output we want:

Seems reasonable.

For Org:

> * Nicely formatted PS or PDF.  (Ideally, passed through TeX.)

ox-latex.el.  Note that the previously suggested asciidocs features
experimental LaTeX support cf its manual...

> * HTML used like Info version 2.

ox-html.el or ox-texinfo.el and then convert texi-file to html.

> * Plain ASCII.

ox-ascii.el.  It supports utf8, ascii and latin1 out of the box.

> If Org format can do these jobs, they it would be one of the
> acceptable source markup formats.

Fundamentally, I'm still uncertain about the desired goal of replacing
Info.  If we want to support a "simpler" format, Org may fit the bill.
But since Org exports to Info, why this need of replacing the
Info-browser?  Is it too steep to require Info-files as well?

—Rasmus

--
M-mm-mmm-mmmm bacon!