Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:57:27 -0800

Stephen Leake wrote:
Now I realize the commit message should have been:

http:/<archive reference>; no other changes to help the git rename
heuristic

When a commit merely renames files, wouldn't it be better for the subject line to explain the underlying reason for the change? Something like this, perhaps: "Rename old ChangeLog files to prepare for gitlog-to-changelog." That would be easier to follow than some URL. Any URL could be placed in later lines in the commit message.

Still longer than 79 chars; I'm going to hit that limit a lot

The limit is currently 72 characters (unless the line has just one word).

Some projects also have a separate limit of 50 characters for subject lines; for example, please see <http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html>. But this might be a bit too short for Emacs.