Re: Alternative input formats

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Alternative input formats
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:38:59 -0500

> If we develop software to browse HTML manuals made by Texifo with all
> the good features of info, then we can drop use of Info format.

You can definitely get "as good as Info" (or close enough) when browsing
HTML within a browser like Iceweasel, although it will almost invariably
be a lot more sluggish.

But getting this within Emacs, for "full HTML" sounds pretty difficult,
both because of limitations of Emacs's redisplay code, and because "full
HTML" nowadays goes much beyond the SGML markup language and includes
Javascript along with a large runtime library.

So it would necessarily have to be limited to a specific subset of HTML.

        Stefan