Re: Namespace macros

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Namespace macros
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:55:50 +0100

On Mon, Dec 08 2014, Artur Malabarba wrote:

> Names.el partially solves that by namespacing sharp-quoted symbols as
> function names (you have to use the sharp-quote on function names for this to
> work, but that's good practice anyway). This catches the majority of the uses
> of quotes for me.

For me define-key was a problematic and common case.  Until now I
believed that replacing 'COMMAND in (define-key ... 'COMMAND) with
#'COMMAND is inappropriate because I thought that #'F evaluates to
(symbol-function 'F).

But it turns out that my intuition was wrong and that (eq #'F 'F) => t
for all symbols F.  So #' can be used to mark function names in more
cases than I thought.  Which is good news for the namespace macro.

Helmut