Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 19:00:52 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 11:29:37 -0500
>
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:08:26 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> EZ> What I had in mind was some evidence, even anecdotal one, that people
> EZ> considered contributing a chunk of docs, but decided against that
> EZ> because of Texinfo.
>
> It's always been a nasty hurdle for me, discouraging me from writing new
> stuff. I can never remember the syntax (I deal with Markdown and other
> formats all day, and texinfo gets pushed out).

(Some of) the syntax gets taken care of by the various Texinfo mode
commands.  We could also add items to the menu, if that's useful.

> I also hate having to list section names twice

You don't need to.

> and the index and all the other nonsense.

Indexing is part of the real effort -- it's a human activity for which
there's no automated replacement.  Like writing the text itself --
there's no alternative to doing that yourself, in any documentation
system.

But I will offer you a deal: write plain ASCII, and I will add
markup.  Deal?