Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:09:51 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> For this reason it would make sense to make CUA keys the default, and
>> provide a compatibility switch for Emacs old timers who are used to
>> the current bindings.
>
> cua-mode is a clever and reasonably clean hack, but
> a hack nevertheless.  So enabling it by default is not really an option.
>
> And note that under Mac OS X, there's no need for it, since Mac OS
> X uses another modifier than "control" for those C-x C-c C-v.
>
> I'm not opposed to a long term plan to possibly change C-x, C-c, and
> C-v.

Well, I don't want things like

"In order to move to the other end of the currently active region, press
C-x, and then press C-x within 200ms.  If you are not fast enough, the
region will be erased instead." in the manual for the default behavior.
And yes, I am not making this one up:

cua-prefix-override-inhibit-delay is a variable defined in `cua-base.el'.
Its value is 0.2

Documentation:
If non-nil, time in seconds to delay before overriding prefix key.
If there is additional input within this time, the prefix key is
used as a normal prefix key.  So typing a key sequence quickly will
inhibit overriding the prefix key.
As a special case, if the prefix keys repeated within this time, the
first prefix key is discarded, so typing a prefix key twice in quick
succession will also inhibit overriding the prefix key.
If the value is nil, use a shifted prefix key to inhibit the override.

You can customize this variable.

So before the C-c, C-x, C-v bindings can get their CUA defaults, there
must be some serious key sequence reorganization for Emacs.

--
David Kastrup