Re: bug#19299: 25.0.50; "Contributing" button in *About GNU Emacs* no lo

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: bug#19299: 25.0.50; "Contributing" button in *About GNU Emacs* no longer works
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:12:48 -0600

This is being discussed on emacs-devel, so I'm copying it there.

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> PS perhaps there is some confusion as to the purpose of this file.
>
> The intended audience for etc/CONTRIBUTE is people who are not Emacs
> developers and do not have write access to the repo. So it
> specifically does not talk about how to commit things to Savannah, etc.
> (People may have added bits of such information to the file in error.)
> Many people just want to send a patch, not get write access.
> That was why CONTRIBUTE needs to be in the installed Emacs.

There is now developer stuff in CONTRIBUTE.

I suggest we move the "for non-developers" info into the Emacs manual
Contributing section, and keep CONTRIBUTE for developers.

Hmm; I'm assuming the Emacs manual is always installed with Emacs; is
that true?

> "What people who commit to Emacs need to know" is a much more lengthy
> document, and IMO should be a separate one. (IIRC, Xue Fuqiao wrote a
> version of it the last time this came up; see emacs-devel archives.
> I have to say that I didn't like that version much.)
>
> Such a document is obviously long overdue.

Yes, and the consensus here seemed to be it should be in CONTRIBUTE.
Apparently we forgot the rationale for CONTRIBUTE.

Which is a _very_ good argument for using texinfo for CONTRIBUTE; you can
put rationale in comments.

--
-- Stephe