Re: Your commit 7409a79

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Your commit 7409a79
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 01:51:21 +0100

() Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
() Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:27:13 -0600

   Because I have been trying for 30 years to make myself write
   caps and periods in commit messages, and it just doesn't work
   for me (mostly because I just don't see it as important).
   Hence the barrier to contributing.

Maybe if you take a step sideways and consider the role of the
initial caps and period, it will make things easier to not only
accept, but formulate exceptions.  This is my roundabout way of
pushing my own personal axioms re TITLE:

- A sentence begins w/ a capitalized word and ends with period.
- Phrases that are not sentences do not merit this.
- A change can be described by a sentence or a phrase.

The last axiom is the escape hatch that allows TITLEs such as:

 - New module: (foo bar baz)
 - Add abstractions: make-coffee, stumble-about

in place of the excruciatingly "correct":

 - Add module ‘(foo bar baz)’.
 - Add abstractions ‘make-coffee’, ‘stumble-about’.

that the first two axioms alone would require.  (I always
capitalize TITLE, for personal aesthetics -- the salient
difference is lack of trailing dot and lack of quotes.)

In sum, the trick is not to force yourself into a static mold,
but to instead train yourself into the molding mindset, then
apply yourself freely and w/ deliberation, dynamically.

It is, essentially, another form of late binding (insert rainbows
and unicorns, here :-D).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502