Re: .git/hooks/commit-msg

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: .git/hooks/commit-msg
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:45:53 -0500

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:14:29 -0800 Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

PE> Jan D. wrote:
>> It keeps complaining about control caracter, even if there are none....
>> Does it assume GNU awk?

PE> No, it assumes only POSIX awk.  However, it turns out that FreeBSD awk
PE> is buggy here; see FreeBSD bug#195792
PE> <http://bugs.freebsd.org/195792>.

PE> I worked around the FreeBSD bug by installing the attached patch to
PE> the emacs-24 branch; this should be merged into the Emacs master in
PE> due course.  After applying the patch, you can run './autogen.sh' to
PE> propagate the fix into your .git/hooks/commit-msg.

On my Ubuntu system:

mawk 1.3.3 Nov 1996, Copyright (C) Michael D. Brennan

this line:

    nlines == 0 && !/[^[:space:]]/ { next }

skips all lines, so I end up with "Empty change log entry" and an abort.
For now I've removed it because I don't know awk well, so I can't fix it
properly myself.

I can rewrite that script in Perl if it's better.  Whatever works.

Ted