Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:41:47 +0000

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Again: Texinfo is not a relevant hurdle.  Elisp is.
>>>
>>> Org most certainly would be a larger hurdle for me.
>>
>> Well, lots of people here are saying that texinfo is a problem, even
>> if it is not for you.
>
> As long as I don't see those "lots of people" offering to contribute
> non-marked up manual sections either, it is irrelevant whether they are
> saying texinfo is a problem for them.

At the risk of repeating a point that has been made before, yes, of
course it is the case that for the majority of people who are actively
using texinfo to produce documentation for Emacs, texinfo is not a
problem.

The incremental approach, however, of first enabling the use of org so
that some of the documentation could be written using it and then
transforming this to texinfo (to work with the rest of the tool chain)
would be interesting. It would, for example, allow you to see whether
org would be a problem for you in a real environment.

If it works, then the eventual aim could be to throw out texinfo and
replace it with org by simple virtual of writing a org->info exported
(direct rather than through texinfo). Or removing info and using
org->eww usable HTML for in Emacs browsing. Or, supplementing org with a
"kiosk" mode, and just using the org source directly as a viewing
format.

If it doesn't work, then you will have been right all along.

It's the reverse Yoda approach: "try or try not: there is no do".

Phil