Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:57:53 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> GNU has a culture of high-quality documentation.  Texinfo is a tool for
> that, providing features like indexes, cross-manual references,
> documentation-oriented markup, and several output media.  AFAIK, neither
> AsciiDoc nor “heavier” options like DocBook support all of that.
>
> Info browsers make it easy to browse manuals, search for index terms,
> follow links, including to other manuals.  A Web browser cannot achieve
> that because a Web browser is not designed for that.

Not by itself, but with a good search engine it could. I am just
testing http://www.opensearchserver.com/ and I am surprised by the
quality and the easy of use - even locally. (Though to use it locally
you need Java. But the setup is just copying one file. A web server is
builtin.)

Here is test page I have just written:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/848981/it/oss/zosspx.html