Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:01:05 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> You assume that many people use VC with Git.  But that is not
> necessarily so; I suspect that most people who use Git from Emacs (as
> opposed to the shell) do it via magit instead.

This is true, if you replace VC with VC-dir. Magit does not provide
convenient ways for doing certain operations, because VC does those well
enough. So Magit and VC are complementary, except for VC-dir, which is
the feature set that Magit covers.

> IMO, if VC is to win hearts on the Git front, it should grow more
> features, not less.

Right. However, it is difficult for a generic UI (VC) to compete with a
specific one (Magit).

[snip]