Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 23:51:05 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please don't use the term "consume" to refer to looking at a work.
> It's inaccurate because looking at a text doesn't consume it.
>
> What makes that error really significant is that that term is used
> to encourage people to adopt a shallow economistic mindset
> that supports the propaganda of our enemies.

Yes, "consume" is a bad word to use here.

But is not "enemy" a bad word too? I think you use it to say those
people believe in other things. Though that does not really make them
enemies IMO.

Using the word "enemy" might make it more difficult to listen to them.
Good ideas comes also from people we do not always agree with. Can we
afford to waste good ideas by not listening at all? (Of course we
should listen critically, but that is another thing. And nothing to
worry about, really. At least not here. ;-) )