Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:21:12 +0900

Eric S. Raymond writes:
 > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
 > > IMO, if VC is to win hearts on the Git front, it should grow more
 > > features, not less.  It is IMO sad, if not ridiculous, that I cannot
 > > uncommit the last commit, and have to go outside Emacs for that.
 >
 > That is not a bad argument in general.  Actually it's the best I've
 > seen for keeping and extending rollback.

Except that the term itself is inconsistent with standard database
terminology, where rollback aborts an in-progress transaction, i.e.,
is basically equivalent to "git reset --soft HEAD".  I've always found
that confusing.

AFAICT, hg's rollback command, while it will destructively strip a
commit (to preserve the commit as a bundle, hg provides the
intuitively named "hg strip"), is really more intended to abort and
rollback merges with "too complicated" conflicts and the like *before*
committing.

I understand that vc has provided rollback "forever", but if you
decide to take Richard's suggestion of removing rollback's code and
providing a complete replacement, think about renaming the
functionality.