Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:33:01 +0900

Eric S. Raymond writes:

 > The git equivalent of actually removing a delta would be *really
 > hard*.

Nonsense.  It's called "rebase".  If you mean "to do completely
automatically", sure -- I'd say impossible -- but if we could automate
that, who needs vc.el?  The reason for having this functionality in
Emacs is that this kind of work needs to be human-driven, and Emacs is
the best tool we have for optimizing the balance between human
decision-making and automatable operations.

I'm really disappointed.  Re-specifying vc.el is a job for an expert.
You really ought to do more homework on the application domain and the
users' use cases before proposing major changes to the functionality.

This thread seriously undermines your whole thesis about "removing
barriers to committing patches Emacs will increase contribution".  I
suspect that the most important contributions to the vc.el revision
effort will be posts to emacs-devel, and conversely, most of those
posters will provide zero code to vc.el during this period.