Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:23:12 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:00:55 -0500
>
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 20:08:12 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> From: Leo Liu <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 00:47:48 +0800
> >> Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> why aren't all these -available-p functions replaced by features?
>
> EZ> Because the feature might be available, but inoperable (e.g., if some
> EZ> underlying library is missing).  This happens all the times in the
> EZ> Windows build, where optional shared libraries are loaded dynamically
> EZ> only when needed, even though Emacs itself was compiled with support
> EZ> for that library.  We will see more of that once we support some kind
> EZ> of dynamic modules.
>
> I made a fix for this one in the emacs-24 branch, and the discussion of
> bug#19346 has the details. I don't know if it will DTRT for W32 as Eli
> describes, sorry.

Your change works for w32, but I've pushed a slightly better fix for
that.  In general, it is undesirable to have more than a single DEFUN
or DEFVAR for the same symbol, so we try to have just one, unless it's
impractical.  If nothing else, it keeps all the code and the doc
strings in one place.

Thanks.