Re: Correspondence between web-pages and Info-pages

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Correspondence between web-pages and Info-pages
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:34:53 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If we add a command to the Info reader that will crank out the
>> corresponding web page for locally installed Info documentation so that
>> it can easily be cut and pasted into a reply on a public mailing list
>> for reference, this will do a lot more for increased page rank to search
>> engines (if they are GNU _manuals_ linked to on the project pages, they
>> are of course _visible_ to search engine crawlers) than messing with its
>> source language.
>
> Hey, I think this is a great idea: replace the "(emacs)Title"
> syntax with a URL.  When passed to Info, these URL would be redirected
> to the local Info pages.
>
> The main downside is that those URLs would take up more space.  But the
> upside is not just greater exposure of our HTML manuals to search
> engines, but also the removal of the ad-hoc (info "(emacs)Title") syntax.

Both Emacs browse-url as well as gnome-open will accept something like

Well, Emacs browse-url will accept

info:elisp#Strings%20and%20Characters

while gnome-open will accept

info:elisp#Strings_and_Characters

So, uh, we already have working URIs into the Info documentation.  For
some value of "working" and "uh".

But that's not what we are talking about here.  We are talking about
converting those into Internet HTML links rather than local Info or HTML
links (which are not all that useful for handing out).

It might also be worthwhile thinking about Internet Info links but
currently our Info browsers are not likely prepared for those.

--
David Kastrup