Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Tom
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:24:05 +0000 (UTC)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, without a search engine you can't search the html pages. (Or, you
> could build an index in JavaScript, but that is a very tough job if
> you want to do something useful.)

With JS libraries, it's not that hard. As a test I created a simple
page to search the Emacs concept index. Just type in the textbox
something emacs related, the completions appear and if you select
one then it takes you to the relevant page of the emacs manual:

http://emacstest.byethost12.com/

The effective code which I wrote for this is about 4 lines
(aside from the index entries array, but I just generated that).