Re: Optional argument for `file-local-copy'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Optional argument for `file-local-copy'
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:46:04 -0500

> file-attributes I'm not sure. One implementation inside Tramp could be
> to install a file notifications handler for the remote file if possible.
> We will be informed then, when the remote file changes, and the local
> file is out-dated.

Right, I guess for a client-side cache, the issue is mostly how to check
the freshness of a file, and it seems difficult to design an API that
can cleanly handle all the various ways we could do that.

So maybe the better option is to do the caching on the handler-side.
But there's no need for any changes to file-local-copy for that.

        Stefan