Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:46:12 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
perhaps we need to radically rethink
our recommended project workflow, like not base it on merges but on
rebase, or push fixes to master and then cherry-pick them to the
release branch, or something else

Part of the problem is the mundane business of maintaining ChangeLogs by hand, an error-prone process with merges. We're planning to fix this (currently scheduled for next month) by generating ChangeLogs automatically. Perhaps once we've done that the remaining problems with merging will be so small that we can just live with them. (The particular problem Ted ran into seems pretty complicated; I'm not sure it's a good use case for us when designing our development workflow.)

More fundamentally there's the issue of how much we want commits to be serialized. That is, do we want development history to look as if it was done one commit at a time in a single branch? If so, merges are not the way to go, because they're DAG-based.