Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:49:54 -0600

> I have watched several of the recent threads regarding changing the
> documentation tool chain for no reason whatsoever from the sideline.
> And I really can't understand what's going on.

There have been a couple reasons listed.
First, to increase the web presence.  To be honest, I don't know what
this has to do with texinfo at all.  (Maybe I missed something.)
Second, because texinfo version 5 is slow.

This second problem seems to be the only real issue, and it seems that
we should try to fix it.  Richard put some pressure on the bzr
developers when we were using that; perhaps he should put some pressure
on the texinfo developers.  (I think that Stefan and Eli have already
brought it up to the texinfo developers.)

> If the only remaining reason for this change is to attract new, young
> and hip contributors,

That's been brought up, but it's also pretty clear that if someone wants
to submit doc changes in some sort of markdown, there are people here
who will translate it to texinfo.