Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 02:18:30 -0500

  > Here, rather than suggest to analyze the existing cases, I'll just point
  > out that pretty much the rest of the world lives happily without being
  > able to use two different texts, so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

It is not actually much trouble.  If it takes two minutes for each new
node (that's estimating high), it is tiny compared with writing the
text of that node.

  > in 99% of the cases, we could use the exact same text for <NodeName>,
  > <MenuDescription>, and <SectionTitle>.

Purpose-written text in the MenuDescription is helpful to users.

In practice, usually the NodeName and SectionTitle are the same.
But often it is better if they are different.  We like node names
to be quite short, but SectionTitle can be longer.

This is due to the details of Info format.  If we replace
Info with some other format, maybe it will be fine always
to have NodeName and SectionTitle the same.

There are some cases of sections that don't have nodes,
but they could be handled specially.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation