Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:57:47 +0100

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> They must merge from master before the push, to test the merge
>> results.

> Why not merge *into* master and test that before pushing?

My guess would be that they merge in regularily from master or emacs-24,
to make sure they stay in sync...?

Ie.
 git checkout my-feature-branch
 git fetch
 git merge origin/master
 <build-and-test>
 <work-work-work>
 <new day>
 git fetch
 git merge origin/master
 <build-and-test>
 <work-work-work>
 etc.

And that's OK, it's only the final merge to master (and subsequent
commits) that will be rebased with a pull.

So if they do:
 git checkout master
 git merge --no-ff my-feature-branch
 git push
 <error message>
 git pull
 git push
the rebased commit will only be on master and not on my-feature-branch

(the --no-ff argument to merge, causes git to always create a merge
commit, even if the merge is a FF)