application/x-patch MIME type used by Gnus? (was: Rant - Emacs mail is n

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: application/x-patch MIME type used by Gnus? (was: Rant - Emacs mail is not user friendly)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:22:53 +0100

On Tue, Nov 18 2014, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Richard Stallman writes:
>  > Has a specific flaw or bug been found?
>
> Aside from the application/x-patch MIME type used by Gnus, I know of
> none.  That one's mostly pedantic, as AFAIK noone proposes to do what
> is implied by the "application" MIME type, namely, automatically apply
> the patch.  (There's no good reason for diffs sent by mail to be
> anything but a "text" MIME type.)

I cannot reproduce this.

emacs -Q / M-x message-mail RET / C-c C-a /tmp/foo.patch RET
results in type="text/x-diff" here.  Maybe your /etc/mime.types
specifies "application/x-patch"?

The only match for "application/x-patch" in Gnus is this one, that
only specifies the coding *if* the type is "application/x-patch":

| grep -nH -e application/x-patch *.el
| mm-encode.el:38:    ("application/x-patch" qp-or-base64)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)