Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 03:52:30 +0700

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Phillip Lord
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Sadly this requires proof checkers that can distinguish between "will
> terminate" and "will terminate within the known life-time of the
> universe". That's a research problem I fear.

Actually “will terminate in <predefined finite time interval>” is a
decidable property while “will terminate” is not.

Although, in general, the finite-interval-termination problem is
solved by setting up a timer watchdog and running the subject program.
If it finishes first, then return t; if the watchdog barks first, then
kill the program and return nil.