Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:26:55 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > With HTML5 you can use "ajax" which can make it very fast to fetch
 > small nodes. You simply just update that information on the web
 > page (instead of fetching the whole web page).

Sure.  However, doing AJAX well requires fairly sophisticated scripts,
of the size that are typically compressed into an unreadable mishmash
for web transport.  Do you have a GPL-compatible package in mind?  If
not, development would be somewhat expensive, though not terribly so.
It also would involve a local httpd to serve, or a separate format
for, local manuals.  It would also be rather expensive to add such
capability to Emacs itself.  If you want to maintain multiple back
ends, that could get rather messy if you need to keep it AJAX-
compatible.

I think all of these are likely to be resistance points without a
proof of concept implementation.