RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 13:05:46 -0800 (PST)

> The younger crowd expects interactive web pages (e.g. jumping
> to manual nodes with completion), because they are used to
> interactive features on other pages (Gmail, facebook, etc.)

Fine.  And it is not only "the younger crowd" that is used to
using interactive web pages.

And if this is about providing access to arbitrary GNU manuals
using HTML on the web then sure, why not add such features to
our HTML manuals on line?

But for the Emacs and Elisp manuals, in particular, I think that
one of the goals should be to also steer users to *ask Emacs*
itself.

IOW, let users know that within Emacs they have access to the
Emacs manuals, and that that is really the way to go (for the
reasons already discussed, in particular, index features).

Yes, this is perhaps a side point.  But it is a concern I have.
When a URL sends a user to a manual node on the web, I would
like to see a feature that points back to the manual in Emacs,
e.g., a reminder.

Too many new Emacs users (old as well as young), I think,
reflexively ask their questions about Emacs *first* on forums,
mailing lists, Stack Exchange, etc.  And often just because
that's how they ask about other things.

That's OK if it's a habit or they somehow find it easier,
but they should at least be made aware that they *can* access
the same information from within Emacs, and that they will
get more help and learn more that way than via the manuals
on line.

The best way we can help them in this regard is to let them
know that Emacs itself offers great help for learning about
Emacs, and one of the best such aids are the Emacs and Elisp
manuals - *within Emacs*.

Having the information in these manuals at your fingertips
while you use Emacs is an giant plus.  Providing better Web
use of the manuals is of course a good idea.  But we should
not neglect inviting users to consult the manuals from Emacs.